Q: Who are Insure Direct?

A: Insure Direct has been a specialist private car insurer since 1997. We sell and administer insurance policies on behalf of our underwriter Tower Insurance Ltd. Tower Insurance Ltd have been providing insurance to New Zealanders for over 140 years and have an A- (Excellent) AM Best Financial Strength rating as of 9 March 2019.  

Q: What is Full Cover?

A: Full Cover car insurance is cover for the following situations:

  • The sudden and accidental loss or damage to your vehicle whether that loss or damage is your fault or the fault of someone else; and

  • The loss or damage to the other party’s vehicle or property if the accident is deemed to be your fault.

This type of car insurance is offered on all vehicles provided they are being used for private use only.

Our policy wording details all the important inclusions and exclusions of our Comprehensive Cover Policy, however some important points to note are:

  • This is a market value policy

  • Named driver policy

  • Accidental damage, malicious damage, theft and attempted theft are covered

  • If your vehicle is modified, it is important that we are advised of all modifications and their respective values

Q: What is Third Party Fire and Theft?

A: Third Party Fire and Theft policy covers the loss or damage you may do to a vehicle or property belonging to someone else as well as the loss of your own vehicle by fire or theft only. Essentially this means that if you have an accident that is your fault, the damage to your vehicle will not be covered but the damage you cause to a vehicle belonging to someone else will be.

This is a more affordable type of car insurance and may be more suitable for lower value vehicles.

Our policy wording details all the important inclusions and exclusions of our Third Party Fire and Theft Policy.

Q: What does adhering to the Fair Insurance Code mean?

A: The Insurance Council of New Zealand’s Fair Insurance Code provides you with assurance that we offer the highest standards of service to our customers.

Visit their website for more information: www.icnz.org.nz/fair-insurance-code


Q: What is Third Party Only?

A: Third Party policy covers the loss or damage you may do to a vehicle or property belonging to someone else only. There is no cover here for your vehicle.

This is your cheapest option for car insurance however the cost needs to be weighed against the fact that if you have an accident that is your fault you will have to pay for your own repairs.

Q: What is a Named Driver Policy?

A: A named driver policy means we are insuring yourself and any other named drivers on your policy only.

The other named drivers can be changed at any time. We will require each of your named drivers to answer the driver history questions you have answered on the quote, before they can be added as a named driver.

Q: What are my Excesses?

A: An excess is payable to your insurer as the first part of any claim.  Your insurer may waive your excess if they find the party responsible for the loss or damage to your vehicle, and that their actions are deemed more than 50% responsible for causing the loss or damage. 

Your certificate of insurance will show what excess you need to pay.  This excess is based on the vehicles value, the driver’s age and their licence type.

There are further excesses detailed on the certificate of insurance for windscreen claims, theft and malicious damage (i.e. you return to find your car is damaged by somebody or thing and no note is left).

Your insurer will tell you what excesses you do or don't need to pay when you lodge your claim.

Q: What happens if I am hit by an uninsured driver?

A: Good news, no matter what level of cover you take there is cover available.  If you take out third party or third party fire and theft cover you are insured for damage to your vehicle for up to $4,000.  If you have full or comprehensive cover then you will be covered up to your sum insured. For cover to be available under the third party and third party fire and theft policies the uninsured driver needs to be more than 50% at fault for causing the accident. 

Q: What is an accessory or modification?

A: Simply, it is any change from the vehicle maker’s standard specifications for that model.  Examples include; mag wheels, air filters, stereos and even adding a spoiler that is from the manufacturer. Every change needs to be declared otherwise it may not be covered.